The Book Gourmet

Book reviews à la bookworm...The good, the bad, and everything in between.

Professional Reader Reviews Published

Hustlin' Texas by K.C. Klein

Hustlin' Texas - K.C. Klein

<i>***ARC provided by publisher through NetGalley***</i>

Two years ago she split after their one night together and his confession of love, now she's back in town, and despite everything that happened, despite knowing her, he's pulled back into her orbit...

This was a cute little story with one important distinction from the rest of romances out there

&mdash;there was no sex until the end

(show spoiler)

. The story flowed nicely, though I could've done without the few scenes involving Jett's (the hero) sister, but those were probably groundwork for the next book (as Jett and Nikki's 'one-night-stand' featured in the first book in the series, or so I've gathered from the reviews), the romance was sweet and cute, the added suspense mini-cameo served its purpose nicely (to make the heroine see reason), and the characterization was very good.

Now, speaking of characterization, and this being me, I have to talk about the heroine. Because Nikki Logan should be featured in the dictionary alongside the term 'issues'. Yes, plural. The girl had ISSUES. Self-destructive, self-deprecating, using anger and spite as protective mechanisms, completely blind to the real feelings people might hold toward her, utterly convinced she didn't deserve kindness or love...And like all such heroines, she needed a near-death experience (literally!) to make her see reason.
For the better part of the story, I was rooting for her hero, Jett, to pull his head out of the sand, see what she was like, and run for the hills. Of course he didn't, which makes him the perfect romance hero (at least perfect for this book and for this heroine). Because he's loved her for years, he stuck around, and once she sashayed back into town was determined to keep her there. By any means necessary. Even mastering 'the most boring game in the world' (his words, not mine).

Once I realized that any reaction toward the heroine (even dislike) was better than none, and glimpsed the real Nikki her through Jett's eyes, I ended up really enjoying this story&mdash;Nikki's bristly nature, Jett's composedness (seeing him lose that cool was something else...wow) and protectiveness, their interactions and relationship...This really was a wonderful story.