The Book Gourmet

Book reviews à la bookworm...The good, the bad, and everything in between.

Professional Reader Reviews Published
Rapture in Death - J.D. Robb This was, IMO, the weakest of the first four books in the series. It started rather slow, dragging its feet, it picked up pace only somewhere in the middle, once again slowed down, and rushed to the finish in those last few pages.The biggest problem with me was the “lack of romance” between Eve and Roarke. What there was of it seemed lackluster compared to the previous books. Sure, they’re a married couple now, but that doesn’t mean romance is dead, now, does it?The second problem was the predictability of the entire book. Some reviewers were a bit shocked by the “closet scene” between our intrepid couple, and I don’t know why. Everything pointed to it happening (maybe not in a closet, but happening nonetheless). But it was done well, if you ask me, providing just enough tension to keep the story flowing, while also providing quite a red herring, though I wasn’t deterred.I knew who the real killer was from the first scene (nothing beats a female intuition, and mine has helped me determine the killer in three of the books so far), and that also added to the whole predictability of the plot.Now, I really need a break from this series.