The Book Gourmet

Book reviews à la bookworm...The good, the bad, and everything in between.

Professional Reader Reviews Published
Lover Eternal - J.R. Ward Rhage is cursed. Literally. He did a bad bad thing a little more than a hundred years ago and he got hit by the Scribe Virgin's whammy. Now he has ninety-one years and a couple of months to wait until the curse is lifted. And this curse of his is no walk in the park, either, he's dangerous and only a big fight or sex or both can keep the beast within at bay. And he's tired of it.Enter Mary Luce. A human with a curse of her own. A deadly curse that's dangerous to her, and her alone. When Rage feels her (he can't see at the moment thanks to that whammy of his), he knows she's the one. Her voice soothes him, centers him, but her presence also brings the whammy's hum back. Which could be dangerous. Besides, she's human, and the brotherhood doesn't interact with them...But Rhage is prepared to do anything to keep her, even defy direct orders from his king...Even suffer the curse forever.There was nothing slow about this book, it grabbed me, pulled me in, and didn't spit me out until the end. Leaving me speechless. And teary-eyed. Because although this was just a minor planet in the major plot arc constellation, the story as a whole was probably the best love-story I've ever read so far.And emotional roller-coaster of bitter-sweetness, romance, pain, tenderness, torture, and love.I absolutely adored Rhage, a great example of a bad-boy reforming just the right amount for the right woman. And Mary, despite I didn't agree with some of the choices she made at the beginning regarding Rhage, was that right woman for him, his perfect match, despite the fact they came from two different species. She completed him and he completed her. I know it sounds sappy, but that's just the way it is.No wonder I started leaking from my eyes when the world came to a standstill when the bad news was pronounced, and I leaked even more when Rhage made the ultimate sacrifice of them all. And I leaked (happily this time) when the whammy-wielding Scribe Virgin decided to...I'm not saying more. Those of you who read it know what I'm talking about, those of you who didn't, I really don't want to spoil it for you.The main story arc scenes with the lessers, and the brothers kicking ass, went (yet again) a little over my head, because I wanted to see more of Rhage and Mary, but they did (yet again) provide a nice little breather in the intensity of it all.And they were a nice intro into the next book. I can't wait to see Z unleash a boatload of hurt on Mr. O.I know this is only the second book in the series, but so far it is my absolute favorite. Exquisite, beautifully written, bitter-sweet, and tender. I love it.