The Book Gourmet

Book reviews à la bookworm...The good, the bad, and everything in between.

Professional Reader Reviews Published
On the Hunt (Includes: Sentinel Wars #3.5, Nightkeepers #5.5, Gods of Midnight, #4.5)  - Gena Showalter, Shannon K. Butcher, Jessica Andersen, Deidre Knight I only read one book by Gena Showalter and I hated it, so I was pretty leery of reading her story in this anthology. I went in prepared for the worst...but Ever Night literally blew me away and ended up being my favorite contribution in this collection.It was dark, angsty, tender, sweet, heart-breaking, heart-warming, and utterly bittersweet. And I absolutely adored it. Now I'm wondering whether there is (or will be) a series about "Nightmare" and if the answer is yes, when is the next book released? Because I want more!The Collector by Shannon K. Butcher was the "weakest link" in this anthology. I read the first book in the Sentinel Wars series and didn't like it that much, and this short story didn't convince me of giving the series another shot.It was good, but not that good.Jessica Andersen's Crystal Skull was another installment in her "doomsday" Final Prophecy series, and while I did like it, it had all the usual JA and FP elements, I didn't feel quite connected to it, since it didn't feature the already established Nightkeepers cast from the previous books.So, while it was tied to the series, it seemed somehow removed from it all. I sure hope to see Natalie and JT in one of the "normal" books in the future.Red Angel was the first thing I read by Deidre Knight, but I sure hope it won't be the last. Because it packed quite a punch despite being quite tame in the hotness department and had quite an "inspirational romance" vibe to it.Maybe a shortened version with less God-talk...All in all, this was a great little anthology, wonderful to keep up the pace with the established series and a good lookout spot for new authors.