The Book Gourmet

Book reviews à la bookworm...The good, the bad, and everything in between.

Professional Reader Reviews Published
Last to Die - Kate Brady Ms. Brady's previous book, One Scream Away, was one of my favorite books from 2009. Everything worked, the hero, the heroine, the villain, it was as close to perfection as it could get. So I had to read about Neil's (hero from the previous book) brother, Mitch.I have absolutely nothing against Mitch, he was a much a perfect romance novel hero as his brother was, maybe even more so, because he was (almost) a perfect man. Heart of gold, protective streak a mile wide, he never forgot his first (and only) love, trying to save the world...In short, one heck of a guy.I have a lot against the heroine, though, which isn't that surprising. Dani annoyed me from the first. And things didn't get any better with the pages. If possible she annoyed me even more. Usually the heroines slowly change during the novel, becoming less annoying, but the change in Dani happened too late in the story for her to be redeemed for everything she's done eighteen years ago and at the beginning of the story.The villain also had much to be desired. Don't get me wrong, the plot was chilling and the villain nicely twisted, but Chevy Banks (the villain in the previous book) set the bar too high to be reached and a legacy that could not be surpassed in this second book in the Sheridan series.The plot was nicely developped with good pacing and good characterization, but I couldn't help but feel something was missing. It just wasn't as good as the previous book...And it wasn't as good as it could've been.