The Book Gourmet

Book reviews à la bookworm...The good, the bad, and everything in between.

Professional Reader Reviews Published
Into the Crossfire  - Lisa Marie Rice Okay, here goes nothing. This one was a tad too similar to Elizabeth Jennings's writing style for comfort. Though they're both the same author, I like LMR stories better. This one was a bit too EJ for me.It was rather slow moving, compared to the Dangerous series, it was too similar to EJ's Shadows at Midnight, and I didn't like the couple Sam and Nicole were. Sure they made fire together, but I didn't "feel" the connection between them. I loved Sam, despite his two almost TSTL moments when Nicole was in danger - that was a bit unbelievable for an ex-SEAL - but his protective nature, his single-minded attention (and devotion) to Nicole is something every woman secretly desires.Now, Nicole was a completely different "animal". I absolutely hated her. Her prejudice toward Sam in the beginning (just because he looks like a thug doesn't mean he is one), her superiority-complex toward Sam at the beginning, her indecisiveness when they were finally together (I simply didn't get it), her hiding behind her father's illness, using it as a shield against everything and everyone...I found her hypocritical and vain. And her "worldliness" was belied by all the stupid mistakes she did throughout the novel.I actually felt sorry for Sam for ending up with a chick like this.I find that in RS stories I usually have a strong reaction to the villain - sometimes I even like him - and that depends entirely on the author's depiction of him. In this case, he was just bland. There was no depth, just a plain, blank, blind following of orders that was idiotic, had no content, and was utterly disappointing.Even the main plot, which I assume will be the series' arc, about middle-Eastern terrorists, which could've been a great premise and move the entire plot, fell short, slowing the already slow story even further.So, beside Sam (in his good moments), this story has nothing good working for it, I'm afraid.