The Book Gourmet

Book reviews à la bookworm...The good, the bad, and everything in between.

Professional Reader Reviews Published
Christmas with a Vampire - Merline Lovelace, Lori Devoti, Linda Winstead Jones, Lisa Childs Merline Lovelace's A CHRISTMAS KISS was a solid little vampire novella. Nothing out of the ordinary, nothing out of norm, just a straightforward little story of a Oklahoma Stat Trooper falling for a female vampire despite her strange lisp due to her recent trip to the dentist. ;)Lori Devoti's THE VAMPIRE WHO STOLE CHRISTMAS was the strongest story of the bunch, still toward the end it slipped and didn't regain its balance. There was just something annoying about an "angel" trying to reform a vampire. Sure, she had her point, but the message came through a little too forceful.Linda Winstead Jones' SUNDOWN was yet another good female-vampire-human-cop novella with a good murder subplot thrown into the mix. I resented the whole let's-shag-his-brains-out-and-make-him-forget-everything angle. Once it worked, but did we really need a repeat performance?Lisa Child's NOTHING SAYS CHRISTMAS LIKE A VAMPIRE was by far the worst in this collection. The story was all over the place without any good ties holding it together. It seemed rushed, the characters were bland...I just didn't care for it.Bonnie Vanak's UNWRAPED wasn't bad, but it wasn't good either. While I like a good vampire/werewolf mix, this one didn't deliver as it could have. If we forget the betrayal at the beginning, the whole story lacked in some major background presentation. I don't know if it's part of some series, but I severely missed some much needed info on the Morhp species.