The Book Gourmet

Book reviews à la bookworm...The good, the bad, and everything in between.

Professional Reader Reviews Published
Running Wild - Sarah McCarty I don't remember when I've last enjoyed a were/shape-shifter story as much as I did this collection of three stories about three yummy, hunky, Alpha werewolves meeting their destined mates, three spunky, strong, independent human women.The conflict lies in the fact werewolves in Ms. McCarthy's world (at least those in the particular pack these three wolfies come from) are forbidden to mate with humans. So you can imagine the surprise when they discover their destined mates are indeed human, and the inner-battle between "honor" and mate these three wage. I loved it.I also loved all three women. There was touch and go with Lisa and Heather for a while, but their annoying denial was quickly resolved. Whew.The first story, Donovan established the universe, the lore, the law, introduced both Donovan and the future Alpha of their pack, Wyatt, and the two younger Delaney sisters, Lisa, Donovan's mate, and Robin, who followed Donovan and Lisa's story with the most dramatic of the three. There was heart-break, there were tears, there was hopelessness as she met her mate, Kelon, Donovan's brother, but knew that she couldn't keep him. It all resolved itself in the last story, where Wyatt, the rising Alpha, met his mate in Heather, Lisa and Robin's older, and much more skeptical, sister. This last story was the most "action-packed" with challenges and disputing of the werewolf law, and also the most humorous of the pack, thanks to Heather and her cranky bitchiness.Don't ask me to name my favorite story, hero or heroine in this collection, because I can't. Each story was touching in its own way, each was special, individual, each was different from the next, and I loved every single minute I spent reading this three-story, one-author anthology.I have all Sarah McCarty's books on my TBR list and I cannot wait to go back for more.A highly recommended read from a highly recommended author.