The Book Gourmet

Book reviews à la bookworm...The good, the bad, and everything in between.

Professional Reader Reviews Published
Green-Eyed Envy (Shades of Fury Series #2) - Kasey MacKenzie This book is second in Ms. MacKenzie’s Shades of Fury series, but the first I’ve read…And I don’t think I’ll come back for more. Don’t get me wrong, I went in very little expectations, but the promise of the blurb constantly on the back of my mind. Unfortunately, the book didn’t meet those measly expectations or kept the promise of the blurb.Though not really a fan of urban fantasy, I am a big fan of mythology, so I was naturally curious to see a “real-life” fury in action. Unlucky me, I got a strangely chic-lity book with a sassy, overly-self-talking heroine that despite her big “Rage” spiel, didn’t show it that much. And for someone who’s the boss in the magical investigative division, she was strangely blind as to what was going on around her - mostly in the villain department.For the rest...What can I say. As far as romance goes, this was definitely an urban fantasy novel, since the boyfriend thing didn’t strike me as overly sincere. I didn’t feel the chemistry, I didn’t feel the connection. I was told there was, but I didn’t “experience” it. The suspense part was quite good, but, once again, the big bad magical investigator almost blew it. The supporting cast added a rather humorous tone, which was good, the fighting scenes were good, but the pacing seemed a little off, since the book really picked up speed only in the second half.