The Book Gourmet

Book reviews à la bookworm...The good, the bad, and everything in between.

Professional Reader Reviews Published
Public Marriage, Private Secrets - Helen Bianchin WTF???!!!That was my reaction when the heroine bolted after learning of her husband infidelity – without CHECKING OUT ALL THE FACTS! Taking the word of a beautiful skank for scared without bothering to confront her husband? I don’t think so. Is everything all right with her?WTF???!!!That was my reaction when the heroine, AFTER FOUR YEARS, finally decided to discover the truth about whether her husband had really cheated on her before or not. Uhm, couldn’t she have done that when she learned of the supposed cheating? Is everything all right with her?WTF???!!!This is usually my reaction while reading (and after finishing) a Harlequin Presents story, and this one was no different.The married because of the baby, but she thought she trapped him into marriage, and her confidence was at a very low point, she lost the baby, a skank told her she was boining her husband, her confidence plummeted even more, and she left. After four years, he comes back – NEITHER OF THEM FILED FOR DIVORCE – to take her to see his dying mother...And of course, try to win her back, because he genuinely loves her (which she never knew), was never unfaithful – not even in the four years they were separated (I guess his hand doesn’t count, huh?), which she also never knew – BECAUSE SHE NEVER BOTHERED TO CHECK OUT THE FACTS, they resume their marriage, though the doubts and secrets still plague them etc.The usual HP spiel. I loved Raul, though the idiot male could’ve tried harder to get his wife back during their separation, and I really wished for him to have a proper heroine. Alas, that wasn’t the case, and the book simply tanked for me.