The Book Gourmet

Book reviews à la bookworm...The good, the bad, and everything in between.

Professional Reader Reviews Published

Burning Lamp: Book Two of the Dreamlight Trilogy (Arcane Society Series #8)

Burning Lamp (Arcane Society, #8) - Amanda Quick

Griffin Winters, descendant of the crazy alchemist Nicholas “Old Nick” Winters, has all the reasons in the world to think he’s going as crazy as his multiple-gran grandfather. He’s just turned 36, he’s acquired a new psychic talent (an additional one!), he’s starting to hallucinate, and his nightmares are getting worse.

These are clear symptoms of the Winters Curse. And the fact he’s the first in his family to get the Curse isn’t reassuring. He’s flying blind.

Lucky for him a woman catches his attention. And not just any woman. Adeleide Pyne, a dreamlight reader. Who also happens to be in possession of a certain Winters family heirloom. The Burning Lamp. A strange contraption created by Old Nick himself, rumored to be able to reverse the family curse.

And since Griffin doesn’t believe in coincidences, this must be fate. And when he sees Adeleide Pyne for the first time, Griffin knows it’s fate. Now they just have to survive the attempts at making the Burning Lamp work, the attempts at their lives, and surmount the biggest obstacle of all, their different lifestyles. Because an affair between a social reformer and a notorious crime lord is impossible. Or is it?

And Amanda Quick has done it again. I just love her historicals and when she throws the paranormal into the mix...Oh, joy. And Burning Lamp is no exception. I loved it from the beginning to end, there wasn’t a dull moment, the story was gripping and intense, the suspense just right, the romance just right. Everything was as close to perfect as it could’ve gone.

But what I loved most of all about this book, was the breath of fresh air it brought into the Quick-verse. First of all, the hero was a crime lord who, despite his initial rank, has spent most of his life on the streets, after his parents’ murder. All AQ heroes have a certain charisma, something that draws the heroine (and the reader) toward them, but Griffin Winters amped that charisma tenfold. This guy oozed it from his pores, and used it to his advantage, both with women and in business. I loved this bloke.

He was a self-made man, had money to burn, had a reputation of ruthlessness, yet he was fiercely protective of those around him, wracked with guilt over something that happened in his past...Not something one would associate with a brutal, cold-blooded “mobster”. And the more as the dichotomy became apparent, the more the real Griffin began to emerge.

Second refreshing fast: though she wasn’t a widow, as she at first claimed, she wasn’t a wilting violet either, and she wasn’t a virgin. While that deprived the reader (please, notice the sarcasm) of the usual historical-romance deflowering scene, it created a nice contract to the other historicals out there, and prevented the first love-scene from turning into a semi-rape. Because I’m sure that taking a virgin in a Burning-Lamp-psychic-energy-induced passionate frenzy wouldn’t have been a pretty scene. Luckily we were spared that...And the usual post-coital talk of “did I hurt you?”, “why didn’t you tell me?”, “I never dreamed it would be like this.” crap.

I still don’t know how Griffin figured out she wasn’t a widow, though. Huh.

And the third refreshing fact: the L-bomb came quite naturally (on both sides) without putting up any fight (again, on both sides). They just said it. Talked a bit more on the impossibility of their future together, and then, thanks to Adeleide’s rather brilliant idea (thought predictable), settled the matter quickly and effortlessly.

The suspense aspect of the plot was the usual AQ fare with some paranormal thrown into the mix, nothing overly spectacular, but very satisfying in its “predictability” and “series-and-author-stability”.

As I said at the beginning. I loved it from start to finish, but unlike some previous books where I liked the story and the characters were just there for the ride, Burning Lamp was all about characters and their development for me.

And I love the fact that (in both books, the first and second in this trilogy) the men from the two “warring families” (Winters and Jones) became if not exactly friends at least good allies in the end.