The Book Gourmet

Book reviews à la bookworm...The good, the bad, and everything in between.

Professional Reader Reviews Published

Quicksilver by Amanda Quick

Quicksilver (Arcane Society, #11) (Looking Glass Trilogy #2) - Amanda Quick

And JAK's alter-ego does it again. As I said in my review for In Too Deep there was something missing in the contemporary part of the Looking Glass Trilogy. This historical part had it all. Romance, intrigue, murder, mayhem, secrets, suspense, sex, paranormal. Even the "soul-mate thingy" on steroids, since the hero came from a family where men needed "the One" to stay sane. Cliché, I'll readily admit, but once again it worked. Everything clicked.

And, lucky me, the reader is once more spared the annoying trait of old AQ heroines - the know-it-all factor. Virginia is aware of her shortcomings, she's more than willing to learn, and, what's most important, doesn't try to lecture on how Owen should conduct the investigation. She goes with the flow, and I loved her for it.

I won't mince words when it comes to the hero—Owen Sweetwater. Rawr. In my imagination, he's one of those guys you meet on the street and the first thing that comes to mind is hubba-hubba. He's dark, he's mysterious, he's strong, he's protective, he's sexy...He's a hunka-hunka burnin' love, if you ask me, and I wonder just why they don't make men like him anymore (if they ever made them).Oh, and one more thrilling tidbit I'll reveal about this book. It had humor. Not that previous AQ books didn't have funny parts, but this one, with Owen's huge family, especially his three cousins, Virginia's housekeeper and Virginia's best friend, the conversations about Dr. Whateverhisname and his "vibrating cure for female hysteria"...I couldn't help but chuckle. There weren't any LOL moments, the humor was subtly inserted in the story, but there were a lot of chuckle-inducing moments. And I loved it. The balance of it all.

A keeper.