The Book Gourmet

Book reviews à la bookworm...The good, the bad, and everything in between.

Professional Reader Reviews Published

Bonds of Justice (Psy-Changeling Series #8)

Bonds of Justice - Nalini Singh

Well, this was yet another great installment in the Psy-Changeling (shouldn't we add human as well?) series, just not as "good" as the previous books.

The main series arc is progressing nicely, whenever we think we know what's going on Ms. Singh surprises us, creating yet more questions, more intrigue, more suspense...But it isn't the main arc that's a problem here. It was this particular story that didn't "do it" for me. I simply couldn't relate to the characters, the romance fell rather flat, and though I love me a slightly possessive, straight-to-the-point, you're-mine-and-I'll-die-before-losing-you kind of hero, I thought there was something off with Max. I cannot put my finger on it, but we just didn't click. And Sophia was no better. I missed Ms. Singh's usually spot-on characterization in this one, sorry to say.

But we did get a few glimpses of secondary characters that warmed my heart. It's always great seeing previous heroes and heroines living their HEA, especially Sasha and Lucas. There was a nice little development on the Nikita front, a little tidbit about Hawke, but it was Councilor Kaleb Krychek's rather significant little role in this book that made me squeal. Darn, but I'm curious about him and can't wait to read his story. He's just full of surprises and this little searching mission he's on intrigues me a great deal. *giddy clap*

Anyway, as I wrote at the beginning, it was good, but not par with Ms. Singh's previous work. I expected more.