The Book Gourmet

Book reviews à la bookworm...The good, the bad, and everything in between.

Professional Reader Reviews Published

Wolf Hunger by Paige Tyler

Wolf Hunger - Paige Tyler

SWAT Officer Max Lowry, the youngest "pup" in the Pack meets Lana Mason at a police award ceremony and falls hard, fast, and furious. Luckily the girl is also a werewolf, so his nose tells him, so there shouldn't be any problems in getting with the program. Unfortunately, Lana has no idea she's a werewolf, she's the daughter of the deputy chief of the DPD tactical division...And a group of hunters is gunning for her, having followed her from Austin to Dallas.

What is a "wolf pup" to do?

Well, this is awkward. After six strong books, this seventh in the series left me rather cold. The action was still quite strong, though the suspense was lacking, there was the requisite sarcasm and snark whenever members of the Pack were in the picture...But the spark was gone.

To start with, I didn't really care much about the two protagonists. They sounded so very young (in fact, they were barely in their twenties), it bothered me a little. Their romance was also nothing to write home about, with the two seemingly merely going through the motion, without much feeling or emotion in the background.

The suspense and action could've saved it, but even these two elements lacked intensity and intrigue. Be it the DV case or the main hunters-related action, it felt lackluster and once more the characters didn't seem very involved. I didn't really feel the urgency and the approaching danger; even the final showdown was quite a let-down ending rather quickly and abruptly, the mysterious phone calls between the baddies merely whetting my appetite without delivering much.
I guess I'll have to wait for the next books (although if the hunters story arc is going to drag for nine more books, it will take quite an effort to keep my attention—it will most assuredly take more effort that this particular story managed).

What did "catch my attention" and what I am looking forward to that this book "started" is Zane's story. Keeping my fingers crossed for the poor Brit.