The Book Gourmet

Book reviews à la bookworm...The good, the bad, and everything in between.

Professional Reader Reviews Published

The Theft by Andrea Kane

The Theft  - Andrea Kane

Lady Noelle Bromleigh knows the circumstances surrounding her birth, what she doesn't know is her sire's identity. So she asks her adoptive father, her uncle, Eric Bromleigh to investigate, just to know the whole truth. But when she's presented with the fruits of said investigation on her eighteenth birthday, her curiosity gets the better of her, and she travels to London to catch a glimpse of her sire, and on the way meets her destiny...

The better part of this story was pretty good. Though I sometimes wished someone would slap the heroine silly, she quickly "mended her ways" thanks to the hero's influence, and she ended the story a rather mature young woman. The hero was once more a typical AK creation; tall, dark, handsome, intense, confident and using the requisite nickname for the heroine.

While the romance left me rather cold (it happened rather swiftly and I didn't really believe it), the best part of this plot was the suspense—especially once murder came into play.
Unfortunately the real villain was rather blatantly revealed (to the reader, not the protagonists) somewhere in the middle, but I was still looking forward to how the case would be solved.

Sadly, the tempo dropped tremendously right at the climax of the story as scenes dragged on for too long and, instead of creating tension and anticipation, the whole thing bordered on boring as I waited for the axe to finally fall.
Instead, it merely brought down the rating.