The Book Gourmet

Book reviews à la bookworm...The good, the bad, and everything in between.

Professional Reader Reviews Published

Wonderful by Jill Barnett

Wonderful  - Jill Barnett

***eBook used to be available for free on Kobo***

She's been waiting for him for six years, two more than he promised when he offered for her. And to make matters worse, she's been waiting closed up in a convent!

But now he's back, and it's her turn to make him wait. And if he goes a little mad in the process...Serves him right.

This could've been a great story, a perfect mix of romance, drama, angst, and humor. Unfortunately, the heroine ruined it all for me. I guess she was supposed to be endearing, determined, and a little quirky, but all I saw was a bratty, self-centered, airhead who was too stupid to live.
At first, the antics were humorous, but the more the story progressed, the more the heroine grew annoying and her "antics" cringe-worthy.
I didn't even buy the romance, because Merrick (the hero) sure didn't come across as a moron who would fall for such a brat. Yet, inexplicably, he did, and I still don't know why. Through the story, as I got to read about him, understand him, I got the love from the heroine's side—the guy was protective, tender, caring, a brute when he needed to be...And a saint for putting up with the chit.
Her better qualities only appeared toward the end of the story, when it was already too late. I wanted the Welsh to sacrifice her to the dark gods by then.