The Book Gourmet

Book reviews à la bookworm...The good, the bad, and everything in between.

Professional Reader Reviews Published

Promises in Death by J.D. Robb

Promises in Death - J.D. Robb

A police detective is found dead in the basement of her apartment building and it looks like the killer used her own weapon on her. Lieutenant Eve Dallas is called onto the scene as primary, and while all cases involving killed cops are personal, this one is even more so. The victim was Chief ME Li Morris's girlfriend.

I loved this book from first page to the very last. It was also tough reading it, but not because there was anything wrong with it, but because it was personal for me as well. I've come to know, respect and love these characters throughout the course of the series, so the bigger the impact of this murder, this case, was on them the bigger was on me.

It was a tricky one with no apparent motive or suspects, although I suspected who did it (not the why, though) from the very first scene the killer appeared in. It was tricky, it was tough, it was twisty, it was hard, and it packed an emotional punch for the characters and for the reader.
Especially in the end, when the motive turned out to be petty revenge...And an innocent woman lost her life (and her future with the man she loved) for basically nothing.

I loved how everybody came together to help when one of them needed it, I loved reading about how they intersect, how their relationships merge and mix together, and how they're there for each other no matter what.
And how drama and sadness was balanced by the lighter theme of Charles and Louise wedding preparations in the forms of their respective bachelor and bachelorette parties. Those lighter scenes, complete with Eve's panicked fretting about having to spend some time mingling without the added buffer of her job, provided some much needed levity.

Well-written, emotional and dramatic with a wonderful cast of characters and the ties that bind them together. Loved it.