The Book Gourmet

Book reviews à la bookworm...The good, the bad, and everything in between.

Professional Reader Reviews Published

Memory in Death by J.D. Robb

Memory in Death - J.D. Robb

Eve's first foster mother, the woman who made six months of her life spent under her roof a living hell, is in New York, claiming to want to reconnect with her charge after all these years. Eve is shaken, and doesn't realize what Roarke does, that Trudy Lombard is in New York for one purpose only, to get rich by blackmailing Eve.

Roarke, naturally, refuses to pay, and once Eve comes back to her sense, the two decide to confront the woman one last time...But they're too late; someone has already gotten rid of her.

Eve's past rears its ugly head (again), but this time it's the part of her past after the root of her nightmares. The woman who "tortured" her for six months, made her wash with cold water, locked her in the dark...is dead and Eve can't find it in herself to really care, as she usually does with the other murder victims.
This particular case offered a good juxtaposition to everything we read so far, because of Eve's own reservations and her "relationship" with the victim, and how the case, even though it connects to her past, affects her dreams.

It was a solid story, but, like Eve, I just didn't care much about the case, the victim, the next of kin, or the murderer and the motive. It seemed like I was reading it through a veil, not really engaged, not overly interested.

What saved it from a lower rating, is the personal stuff. No drama there, just your regular Christmas cheer with gifts, decorating, partying with friends...And what I loved most about it was seeing Eve and Roarke relax at home, being together without her work intruding too much. It was nice reading about them as a "normal" couple.
Those scenes were homey, sweet, and, as usual, sexy.