The Book Gourmet

Book reviews à la bookworm...The good, the bad, and everything in between.

Professional Reader Reviews Published

Witness in Death by J.D. Robb

Witness in Death - J. D. Robb

In the last act of a sold-out play, the lead actor is executed in front of the eyes of the entire theater with a knife that was supposed to be a prop, but ends up being real. One of the thousands of witnesses in the theater is Lieutenant Eve Dallas, who, despite her dislike of the victim, thanks to what is uncovered during the investigation, finds death even more distasteful...Justified or not.

Yet another great addition to this series with an intriguing mystery, and although I knew who the killer was from the start, the motive eluded me until the end.
Unlike its predecessors, this wasn't heavy on the suspense, but focused straight on the mystery, with quite an Agatha Christie feel, filled with misdirection, suspects, possible motives, and red herrings.

The thick mystery didn't allow for much else, but there still was enough space for some evolution in the friendship between Eve and Peabody, and the budding relationship between Peabody and McNab...And space enough for some sexy and sensual alone time between Eve and Roarke. I absolutely loved that scene.

The pacing was spot-on (as pretty much always), the mystery intriguing, the procedural intense, the cast of characters even more expanded than usual...A great book.