The Book Gourmet

Book reviews à la bookworm...The good, the bad, and everything in between.

Professional Reader Reviews Published

Holiday in Death by J.D. Robb

Holiday in Death  - J.D. Robb

The victims have nothing in common but the way they died. Tied up, made-up, disinfected, raped and sodomized. Two women and two men from different backgrounds, different social positions and statuses...But Lieutenant Eve Dallas finds the missing link. All four victims have been matched through the elite dating agency, Personally Yours.

But the song is Ten Days of Christmas, which means the killer is far from done...Unless Eve catches him first.

Another well-written story with the well-known gang of characters (I liked how McNab fit right into the crew), and with Eve and Roarke still going strong in their wedded bliss, going for their first Christmas together (aw, the cuteness).

The problem was the suspense/mystery part of the story. Yes, it was intriguing and gripping, keeping us guessing, especially with all those possible victims out there, but the villain left much to be desired. I simply didn't get it; the explanation for his deviancy fell short. What drove him to choose the people he did? Why them? I don't know, it all felt a bit off.

But, as I mentioned, the cast of characters was great, as always. Loved the constantly evolving relationship between Eve and Roarke, loved the sparkage between Peabody and McNab (so kindergarten I-like-you-so-I'm-being-obnoxious-in-order-for-you-to-notice-me), there was a lovely scene between Eve and Dr. Mira...But I didn't particularly like the "snit" Peabody threw. It felt a little cheap, more for conflict-creation than anything else.