The Book Gourmet

Book reviews à la bookworm...The good, the bad, and everything in between.

Professional Reader Reviews Published

On the Chase by Katie Ruggle

On the Chase (Rocky Mountain K9 Unit) - Katie Ruggle

***ARC provided by publisher through NetGalley***

While Kaylee was dating a Disney prince, fancying herself falling for him, she encountered three tortured men in his uncle’s basement, helped them escape, was also forcefully detained by said uncle, escaped herself, ran from the police, and got a new identity and a new location.

Unfortunately that new location comes with a sexy, but nosy cop without nothing better to do, since he’s on sick leave thanks to a hole in his leg, but poke his nose into her business. Then someone tries to blow the cop away, someone takes a shot at them as they’re locking lips...And Grace, as she’s named nowadays, knows the torture-prone uncle with a Slavic (can you say trope?) last name has found her.

Reading this one wasn’t very pleasant. The heroine swung between two extremes—she either whined (mostly in her head, which made the reading of her “scenes” a special kind of torture) and bemoaned her fate (instead of feeling lucky about actually being still alive) or she acted like a demented teenager thanks to the teasing and/or banter from Hugh.
Hugh that I actually liked quite a bit in the previous book, but in this one turned out to be almost as annoying as the heroine. Hyper, obnoxious, and as far from funny or fun (although I guess Ms Ruggle wanted to portray him as such so he could take the heroine’s mind off her predicament) as he could get.

The romance was lukewarm at best and not-there at worst, I didn’t understand what exactly drove these two together except for looks. And the suspense was so convoluted, with yet another villain coming out of the woodwork, just to mix things up, I guess, keep the supposed mystery going, and keep the page-count high.

Everything was rather convoluted, there was too much going on with the two separate suspense sub-plots (one coming out of thin air, the second not actually having a satisfying run or resolution), and I disliked both the main characters.

Definitely not a pleasant reading experience.