The Book Gourmet

Book reviews à la bookworm...The good, the bad, and everything in between.

Professional Reader Reviews Published

Soul Deep by Pamela Clare

Soul Deep: An I-Team After Hours Novella (Volume 2) - Pamela Clare

When Janet Killeen slides off the icy road, and spends the night freezing in her car, the last person she wants to rescue her is Jack West, the asshole rancher who’d thrown her off his ranch the year before when she was protecting Laura Nilsson.

But it is Jack who rescues her, offering his home for the week, hoping to make up for his brusque manner the last time he met the beautiful FBI agent and soon Janet stirs more than Jack’s protective and nurturing instincts...

What a perfect little story this was. It made me smile, it made me laugh, it made me happy.

I loved the MCs were an older couple, because let’s face it, older people are in love, too, feel attraction, and have sex. And Jack and Janet were such a lovely couple to read about. Both adult, mature, in tune with their feelings, nature and disposition. They actually communicated, and they were equals.

Their romance might’ve been rather quick, their feelings instantaneous, but as Jack said, at that age, there’s no point beating around the bush. It was quick, but their maturity and age helped with the realism of it, if I might use that word.
They knew their own minds and their characters, they knew what they were looking for, they knew what they needed, and when they actually found it, they embraced it. Individually, they were strong characters that slowly turned into a power couple. And their courtship was romantic, sweet, sexy, and, yeah, very hot.

The suspense was interesting, maybe not really serving to propel the story and/or the romance forward, but provided a nice little mystery.
The last part of the story was a bit sappy, true, but it brought a stupid grin on my face, so I’m happy.

The entire story brought a stupid grin to my face. I’ve loved Jack West since he appeared in his son’s book and I’m glad he found his second happily ever after, and they were absolutely adorable together...And that last surprise. Yeah, I’m grinning again.