The Book Gourmet

Book reviews à la bookworm...The good, the bad, and everything in between.

Professional Reader Reviews Published

Honest Illusions by Nora Roberts

Honest Illusions - Nora Roberts

Roxy and Luke grew up together, ever since her father took the runaway boy under his wing, and through time, their relationship changed from initial animosity to friendship, and in the end, love. But Luke's past came back to haunt him, and he left his family, and his heart, behind to protect them.
But now, after five years, he's back, determined to get it all, especially Roxy, back no matter the cost.

I must confess these "time progression" stories by Ms Roberts are hit-and-miss for me. Unfortunately, this one falls into the "miss" category. I can't really put my finger on why that is, it simply didn't pull me in. It actually dragged too slow and too long in the beginning, establishing the characters, their history, and their relationships, and it definitely took too long to get back to the present...And then, finally in the present, everything was resolved rather quickly.
I guess the prologue, set in the present, ruined it for me, since the story immediately moved back into the past, and the whole reason for the anger in the prologue, took too long to be explained. Or maybe it's just me.

I also didn't really connect with any of the characters, and the main couple left me especially cold. Roxy was a brat and Luke was a jerk for the better part of the story, and once they finally started to get interesting, it all went down the drain thanks to an especially twisted villain, whose motive was a bit far-fetched, if you ask me, and his actions rather disproportionate compared to the "offense". I know crazy people think differently, but still. It was a bit too much.

Some reviewers complained Roxy was too quick to forgive Luke for abandoning her for five years, but I found the resolution to the conflict refreshingly quick. Which it had to be, since the book was running out of page space. ;)

It was better than some contemporaries out there, but still only average in Ms Roberts' opus.