The Book Gourmet

Book reviews à la bookworm...The good, the bad, and everything in between.

Professional Reader Reviews Published

The Girl Who Knew Too Much by Amanda Quick

The Girl Who Knew Too Much - Amanda Quick

Four months ago, Anna Harris fled her previous life after finding her employer murdered and herself suddenly in possession of a dead scientist's notebook. Now, she's once more looking at a dead woman's body, drowned in the spa pool of an exclusive, elite California hotel.

The dead woman had a connection to a rising star in Hollywood, the same actor who's also a guest at the hotel...And this is the third dead woman connected to the same actor; all of them died the same "accidental" death. The woman who now calls herself Irene Glasson knows the connection is there, even though no one else wants to acknowledge it, and she's willing to risk everything to prove it.

There was a good story in there, pity it got bogged down by all the "sideplots", red-herrings, misdirections, a secondary suspense plot (that was resolved too easily), a mediocre heroine more or less skirting the TSTL territory, and a lukewarm-at-best romance that felt both rushed and forced.
Also, the period didn't work for me, too close to "contemporary" to actually sound overly "historical", while sounding weirdly outdated.

A rather large disappointment from one of my favorite authors whose "voice" I barely recognize.