The Book Gourmet

Book reviews à la bookworm...The good, the bad, and everything in between.

Professional Reader Reviews Published

Cold Memory by Leslie A. Kelly

Cold Memory (Extrasensory Agents) - Leslie A. Kelly

Mick Tanner has grown up in the carny community (not counting the few years in between living with his abusive grandfather that helped his gift of psycometry even worse), and now, as members of the community, members of his family, are falling victim of a brutal killer, there's nothing stopping him from helping the local chief of police, his childhood frenemy Gipsy Bell, to uncover the truth.

After two (almost) perfect books, this one was quite a disappointment. The premise was good, and the suspense awesome with the mystery of why the murderer was killing those he was killing, the voice in his head, his craziness, the way he killed...Unfortunately, the rest didn't contribute to the reading experience.

The pacing was slow thanks to many filler scenes that didn't lead anywhere and didn't contribute much to the story. The many characters were too many, stealing the thunder of the two leads, who actually made the romance much more believable than in the first two books, due to their past connection, but it, as everything else good in the story, was pushed to the sidelines by everything else (the plethora of characters, side-stories, and filler scenes).

I also have to admit, I could've done without Mick's story, since I never "connected" with him in the previous two books, making him my least favorite Extrasensory agent. I'm certainly looking forward to Derek's book...and Julia's too, even though I'm skeptical how someone can compare to her ghost.