The Book Gourmet

Book reviews à la bookworm...The good, the bad, and everything in between.

Professional Reader Reviews Published

Savage Sacrifice by Ellis Leigh

Savage Sacrifice: A Dire Wolves Mission (Devil's Dires) - Ellis Leigh

A few months after their mating, Thaus has to leave Ariel for an important mission, and the only one he trusts to protect his mate and their unborn child, is his Dire "brother", Phego. Phego who, despite his trust issues, accepts, since he owes Thaus his life...And Ariel is the only Dire mate he's taken quickly and easily, his best friend.

The problem is, the woman is close to birth, and he'd be damned if he helped deliver the baby, so he has no choice but to accept Ariel calling her friend and midwife, Michaela, for help. Michaela who happens to be an Omega, Michaela who travels with an unwanted bodyguard, Michaela who is Phego's mate.

But Phego has too many trust issues to accept being mated easily...And even if he wanted to push those issues aside, there's something stalking them in the woods. So now Phego has to protect his brother's mate and unborn child, all the while fighting his most basic instincts of taking what is rightfully his.

But is Michaela really a dream come true, something he never expected of having for himself, a gift from Fate...or is Fate playing a cruel joke on him, determined to ruin him once and for all?

Compared to the rest of the series, this book left me wanting. There was the requisite attraction-at-first-sight, reluctance to get close to the woman until the passion got out of control, the remote setting, a woman in need of protection, something dark and deadly stalking in the woods...But somehow it all failed to deliver.

I didn't feel the connection to the leading couple (probably because Phego only appeared in one book before his own, and didn't get the time to really "know" him, which makes me leery of the next book in the series about Deus, who also only made his appearance in this one), the whole mating thing left much to be desired, there was too much going on to actually make the two of them connect together as a couple, and the danger left me cold. There was no ominous feel, no sense of urgency as the danger lurked closer and closer, and the big reveal didn't pack a punch, didn't bring the shock and surprise it was probably supposed to.
Also the whole revelation that maybe, just maybe, the Dires weren't alone came across as a cheap and easy plot device, that hopefully won't be used to perpetuate the series.

I was glad for Thaus and Ariel, and although the epilogue offered a cute little insight into Phego and Michaela's relationship post mating, I felt the story was definitely too short as far as their "romance" was concerned.