The Book Gourmet

Book reviews à la bookworm...The good, the bad, and everything in between.

Professional Reader Reviews Published

Magic in the Wind by Christine Feehan

Magic in the Wind - Christine Feehan

Damon Wilder is a man with Death on his shoulders. Barely escaping torture that’s resulted in his friend’s death, he left his job and relocated to Sea Haven where he keeps his distance from everything and everybody...Until Sarah, the oldest of the seven Drake sisters returns home and Damon finds himself inexplicably drawn to her.

Sarah Drake never believed in the family prophecy of the seven sisters finding love one by one, starting with the oldest as the house gates open for the right man. Now, with Damon, she’s starting to believe, since the gate opened for him, and the house and her dogs welcomed him home. She knows there’s no fighting the prophecy, and she has no intention of doing so. Because as much as he’s drawn to her, she’s drawn to him. And she’s determined to keep him no matter what.

Well, this is weird. I don’t remember this story being so bad the first time I read it in 2008. And I mean bad. Yes, Christine Feehan’s style is an acquired taste, but still...The premise was idiotic, the whole stalking/kidnapping/murdering plot made no sense whatsoever and it was probably written to merit the story surrounding it. And I’m using the term “story” very loosely here. Because there wasn’t much of it, only a bunch of tropes, characters, and more-or-less dangerous situations thrown in and mixed up.

The characters were bland without any specific depth or agency (I hated the brat that was Hannah although I liked her when I read her story—also in 2008, God knows what I’d think now), the romance was unbelievable and far-fetched, the tension lukewarm, the “suspense” bland...

I cannot find one single good point about this “story”.