The Book Gourmet

Book reviews à la bookworm...The good, the bad, and everything in between.

Professional Reader Reviews Published

The Secret to Your Surrender by Adele Clee

The Secret To Your Surrender - Adele Clee

Anthony Dempsey is a man at the end of his rope. Trying to keep a secret from his brother, trying to prevent the Harwood name from being associated with another scandal, and dealing with a blackmailer, all the while keeping Sarah Roxbury, the woman who makes his heart sing, at arm's length in order to protect her, is taxing.

But his brother is stubborn, his sister in law is determined and filled with pregnancy hormones, and Sarah Roxbury is too beautiful, too tempting, and too damn irresistible to keep away. Is it any wonder Anthony cannot keep his secret any longer?

Well, I jinxed it. If this were the first book in the series, I wouldn't read any further. Disappointing, to say the least.

With an insipid hero (I never would've thought he could be even remotely related to Lucas Dempsey) and his idiotic reasoning for not revealing the "secret" at least to his brother sooner, a vapid heroine (so far away from her sister's lively character), who kept spouting headache-inducing flowery prose whenever they were in close proximity to each other, a suspense (if one could call it that) plot as weak as a newborn, and a resolution to the "suspense" plot even weaker, I must say Ms Clee dropped the ball with his one.

If it wasn't for Mr Thorpe and Mrs Chambers, who even in their first brief interaction on the page had more chemistry and more spark than the two leads (I can't wait to read their story, A Simple Case of Seduction), this story would've been a disaster. Granted, I never really took to liking Anthony Dempsey very much (even in his brother's book I found him bland, ordinary, and unexciting), but I never would've imagined his story would be so utterly boring and dull.