The Book Gourmet

Book reviews à la bookworm...The good, the bad, and everything in between.

Professional Reader Reviews Published

The Suffragette Scandal by Courtney Milan

The Suffragette Scandal - Courtney Milan

Edward Clark comes back to England as a favor to a friend, to save that friend’s younger brother. That he is supposed to save that younger brother from his own, the one who betrayed him and left him for dead seven years ago, is an added bonus. Revenge, after all, is a dish best served cold.

Little does Edward know that he’ll end up saving someone else from his little brother’s (rather demented, if you ask me) wrath, losing his heart, and gaining an unwanted title in the process.

This was by far the best book in the series (for the better part of the book), then unfortunately lost its momentum and never truly regained it toward the end.

Both the leads were amazing in this one. I loved Edward in all his scoundrel-ly, you-can’t-trust-me, I’m-a-liar-and-a-cheat glory with his heart of gold, principles, and deep-rooted honor, and Free with her free-spirited, stubborn, independent nature, though she still knew her limitations. She had principles, integrity, was whip-smart and didn’t let herself be browbeaten. Which is why her decision to run after learning the truth about Edward came as a huge surprise. She was an elitist (only backwards), she spent years deriding lords, inventing jokes (with her friend) about them, she’s been looking down on them for so long, that she figured being lords defined them. Even though she knew better, she still run, she still thought the worst of Edward, not because she knew who he was (she loved him, for crying out loud), but because of what his title supposedly made him. This is one flaw in Free that cannot be overlooked, and that made her act very OOC.

Other than that, I have absolutely no complaints. The supporting cast was wonderful, as always, it was nice seeing Oliver and Robert in more than cameo roles, and the last scene was hilarious.

The pacing was flawless, the writing spot-on, the baddie got his due, everybody lived happily ever after...Loved it.