The Book Gourmet

Book reviews à la bookworm...The good, the bad, and everything in between.

Professional Reader Reviews Published

A Kiss For Midwinter by Courtney Milan

A Kiss for Midwinter - Courtney Milan

Doctor Jonas Grantham's presence is a constant reminder of Lydia's humiliation five years prior. She knows he's judging her, mocking her, condemning her with each sardonic smile, each gaze, each spoken word...But in this Christmas season, Lydia will learn not everything is as it's presumed, and some hurts need to be dealt with instead of buried.

I only said I would stop talking to you, he'd written. I never promised to stop loving you.

This. This is what I've come to expect from this author after reading The Governess Affair. Not a plot encumbered with character issues and depression, or so filled with historical politics that the story could barely be categorized as romance. This.

A character study, really, but dealing with sympathetic, realistic characters the reader can empathize with (though the heroine went on my nerves a little), and circumstances and situations that, despite their historical settings, can resonate in our modern times as well.
And romance, a true romance with its share of cuteness, sadness, happiness, and bitter-sweetness. A romance that paints a smile on your face, brings out moisture in your eyes, and makes you sigh happily in the end.

The narrative style and voice never disappoints, the length was just perfect (less likely to bog the story down with ballast and clutter if it's short), and the characters simply shone through.

Loved it.