The Book Gourmet

Book reviews à la bookworm...The good, the bad, and everything in between.

Professional Reader Reviews Published

Shards of Hope by Nalini Singh

Shards of Hope (Psy/Changeling) - Nalini Singh

Aden Kai, the leader of the Arrows, and one of his most trusted Commanders, Zaira Neve, wake up on a concrete floor of a bunker in the middle of nowhere, their psychic abilities blocked. Zaira knows that with her bleeding, Aden won’t get far, but the man is determined not to leave her behind. He never has so far, he’s not about to start now.
Escaping into the unknown forest, the two must rely on each other to stay alive, but that might not be enough...

After a rather disappointing previous book, I’m glad Aden’s story came back swinging.
The man was never really on my radar. Yes, he’s the leader of the Arrows, but he was always somewhere on the sidelines, quiet and watching, not really making a lasting impression, except as Vasic’s friend. Boy, was I wrong.

I loved him in his story, which is how it should be (and which makes Vasic’s such a strange occurrence). He was quiet and watching, yes, and also steady, a grounding force for the rest of the squad and his friends, with a protective streak a mile wide, stubborn, strong, resilient, and determined. Determined to do what was best for the squad, and determined to have a partner by his side. A partner of his choosing, and he’d chosen well. But as determined he was about having her, he was prepared to have her however she wanted to be had. Never on his terms, it was always her choice.
And Zaira also chose well. How could she not. And how could they even stay apart, when they were made for each other, balancing each other out. It was wonderful reading a love story that has taken its time through years, not one of those love-at-first-sight deals. Aden and Zaira knew each other, they trusted each other, they’ve been friends and partners for years, which made the transition to lovers, despite everything that was going on around them, and inside Zaira (with her being “broken” and insane), that much easier, that much smoother.
They fit, and they fixed each other, anchoring each other. I just loved it.

The rest was the usual Psy/Changeling fare with conspiracies, dangers, blood, and mayhem, and although I liked the more laid back suspense plots from the beginning of the series, with just one danger lurking around the corner, this vast conspiracy was chilling and intense, keeping us guessing, leaving us dangling at the end of the book, desperate (at least me) to know more.
I guess I’ll learn everything in time.
The action was also as gripping and intense as we’ve come to expect from Ms Sing. Vividly depicted, chilling in their intensity. Especially that last fight in the park (I loved how the ring pulled her back from the brink), and the goose-bumps inducing demonstration of Aden’s true power. Very Matrix-y.

Once more everything worked. The characters (old and new with promises of future stories), the relationships (old and new), the plot, the resolution and the loose ends, the action and romance. I like this post-Silence world, I really do.