The Book Gourmet

Book reviews à la bookworm...The good, the bad, and everything in between.

Professional Reader Reviews Published

Savage Surrender by Ellis Leigh

— feeling amazing
Savage Surrender: A Dire Wolves Mission (Devil's Dires) - Ellis Leigh

***copy provided by publisher through NetGalley (in Bad Boys After Dark set)***

The Omega's, the she-wolf shifters, the last remnants of the Dire Wolves females, are going missing. But the Lycans might finally have an opening. The latest to disappear was a fifteen-year old Omega and the president sent his best tracker, one of the last seven remaining Dire Wolves, long thought extinct, to track her down, save her, and bring her kidnappers in for questioning.

Beelzebub, Bez for short, find the little Omega, but it’s her older companion, also taken captive, that draws his attention. Turns out Sariel is also an Omega...And Bez’s mate. For the first time in his life, Bez is willing, able, and more than capable of forsaking orders. He’s not about to leave his mate in the lurch while he saves the one he’s been sent to save. They’re both coming with him...

Now, this is a paranormal after my own heart. I’ve never been overly fond of wolf-y shape-shifters (I’m more of a vampire kind of gal), but after reading this story, I had a change of heart. I love wolf-y shape-shifters.

I loved Bez, so controlled, so “soldier-y”, so Zen, and then...poof, he meets the girl, and everything he’s lived for in his life (order, orders, discipline, control...) goes out through the chimney, leaving just one prerogative—protect his mate.
And Sariel was the perfect mate for this taciturn, brooding soldier. She was a damsel, she knew that, she knew she couldn’t hold a candle to Bez, and his strength, and abilities, so she let him do his thing without once jumping into the fray and endangering herself. She knew that worrying about her would be his weakness, so she stayed out of his way (of course, the other main character in this story, the other Omega, the teenager, wasn’t so smart, so the two were in danger, but it all ended well). I also liked the fact she didn’t whine or lecture about his ways of conducting his “business” (you know, killing things) or push him away because of his “profession”. She was actually proud of him, and supportive (which puts her firmly on my heroines-I-love-to-bits shelf).
And the two of them together were so adorable. So utterly awkward at the beginning, circling each other not knowing what to do or say. I loved their interaction from beginning to end, the progress of their relationship. I loved Bez’s confession about kissing (aww) and I loved the scorching hot scene they shared before all hell broke loose. It was hot, quick, and sweaty, but so incredibly sensual (all the growling got to me a little ^_^).

Yes, as I said a million times before, the characters make a story for me. You can have a great plot, but if your characters are worth shit, it’s not going to work no matter what cartwheels you have them perform. The characters hold the story, and this two made a great job of it.

That doesn’t mean the plot and its various elements don’t count. They do, and Ms Ellis did wonders in this (short) story. The suspense (although not the main element) worked wonderfully, the romance aspect (as mentioned) was perfectly incorporated, working in the context of the story and its characters, and the action scenes were diverse, and yet each packing a punch. The tension and the danger were palpable, the battle scene in the end vivid and chilling...Everything, every single aspect of the story, worked perfectly together, creating an action-packed, thrilling, sexy read.