The Book Gourmet

Book reviews à la bookworm...The good, the bad, and everything in between.

Professional Reader Reviews Published

The Host by Stephenie Meyer

— feeling stupid
The Host  - Stephenie Meyer

What the hell have I just attempted to read? Haven't I learned from the biggest reading mistake of my life called Twilight and its saga? Was I hoping the narrative, plotting, and writing abilities of this author have improved?

Since this wasn't a bet, I didn't finish. I couldn't bring myself to finish. I'm not that masochistic and I do have better things to do with my time. It was just that I saw the movie and I somewhat liked it (there was nothing better on TV that day, I guess), so I decided to read the book...At least the movie was short, only two hours lost instead of many hours I could've lost reading this drivel. (So sorry, if my frankness offends any sensibilities out there.)

The characters were one-dimensional at best, cardboard cutouts most of the time. It seemed to me they (fictional characters!) had no idea how the heck they ended up in this book and what they were supposed to do. They just were because someone decided to write something with them in it.
I won't even bother with the narrative and writing style. Same old, same old. Coma-inducing repetition after a coma-inducing repetition. Whisper, murmur, gasp, whisper, murmur, gasp...
And the story, that in someone else's hands and imagination might've worked—the idea was interesting in a Body Snatchers sort of way—was really a non-entity. Nothing happened and everybody went through the requisite, I guess, motions, and in the end it was just another rehash of the aforementioned saga only without sparkly vampires (thank God for little miracles), but with yet another old, boring, uninspiring, and utterly chemistry-and-romance-less love triangle.

Although, this one would make a good erotic fanfiction (again, if someone with a modicum of talent and imagination would write it). The love triangle that's really rectangular when you look at it, has quite a potential. I'd read it, if only for the laughs.