The Book Gourmet

Book reviews à la bookworm...The good, the bad, and everything in between.

Professional Reader Reviews Published

Count to Ten by Karen Rose

Count to Ten (Romantic Suspense, #6) - Karen Rose

An arson investigation soon involves dead bodies and IFO, and Homicide have to work together, forging a temporary partnership between arson investigator Lieutenant Reed Solliday and Detective Mia Mitchell. And as the arsonist/murderer escalates, so does the tension between the two partners…

I loved this book. The pacing was spot-on, the plot well-developed, the characterization was wonderful, the suspense chilling, the villain strangely fascinating, and the little romance sub-plot perfectly balanced the tension-filled suspense.

I absolutely loved Mia, which is a huge exception in my usual I-hate-the-heroine “demeanor”. In fact, the hero was the one frustrating the heck out of me. I just wished someone would’ve smacked him upside the head or something. Because his sticking to the past was bloody annoying. Lucky for Mia and the readers he saw his error in time, before I started ranting about my hero-hate to the world.

There were many sub-plots in this book, some previous characters paid us a visit (“whew” for Abe, and “congratulations” to Dana and Ethan), but the story didn’t seem clogged and crammed with too much of everything. All the little cameos, and even the part with Reed's daughter, provided some much needed respite between the suspense scenes.

Absolutely loved it!