The Book Gourmet

Book reviews à la bookworm...The good, the bad, and everything in between.

Professional Reader Reviews Published

Blind Passion by Bonnie Dee

Blind Passion (Wyatt Brothers Book 1) - Bonnie Dee

***copy provided by publisher through NetGalley***

Oh, sweet Jesus!...But not in a good way.

It's difficult for me to find a good book written in first person POV, so far only a few selected choices made it on the list. This one isn't one of them.

Yes, first person POV is one of my pet peeves, but when the author then decides to use the alternative narration throughout the book (in this case switching between the hero and heroine) augments my disdain disproportionately. If you don't know which character to use as your narrator why not try, I don't know, the third person POV and see how it fits.

In this case it would've fit a lot better, but you also have to know how to work that one. The omniscient narrator would, of course, require a more "mature" voice, compared to the high-school like character voice that was used for both heroine (which could be understood to a degree) and hero (which was laughable since the guy was supposed to be military - I never imagined a soldier, no matter the age, would sound like the guy in this book). Sheesh.

Then I checked the categorization and realized this was supposed to be "new adult". If these two were new adults, so older than young adults and hence no longer minors, no wonder everything is going to hell in a handbasket. I wouldn't give these two voting rights for at least another decade or so. And here I thought young adult was bad, seems new adult is much, much worse.
Or maybe either genre wouldn't be so bad in the hands of someone who knows what they're doing. I don't really want to find out.

Anyway, both characters in this one were immature and one-dimensional, the story had no flow, the voice was grating, and I just didn't care what happened.