The Book Gourmet

Book reviews à la bookworm...The good, the bad, and everything in between.

Professional Reader Reviews Published

Hidden Order by Brad Thor

Hidden Order - Brad Thor

Well, this most certainly would've gotten a higher rating if I haven't read Forsyth's The Kill List first. After reading that one, the pacing in Mr. Thor's novel was a lot slower, some information and although I appreciated the suspense plot (though somewhat similar at the beginning to The Kill List's rescue operation in Somalia), everything else seemed rather redundant. Also, the information the hero (and the reader) needed in order for the plot to progress—the historical background—was presented in a rather academic and boring fashion. I love history, but I just wasn't interested all that much.

And the second beef I have with this story was the fact it reminded me too much of Brown's Angels and Demons. There were multiple missing important people, a race against time, the main plot taking place in just one city...

When while you're reading everything else is running through your head but the story, the protagonists, or guesses as to who might the villain be, that's not a very good sign.