The Book Gourmet

Book reviews à la bookworm...The good, the bad, and everything in between.

Professional Reader Reviews Published

SEDUCTIVE SUPERNATURALS: 12 Tales of Shapeshifters, Vampires & Sexy Spirits

Seductive Supernaturals: 12 Tales of Shapeshifters, Vampires & Sexy Spirits - Erin Quinn, Caridad Piñeiro, Erin Kellison, Lisa Kessler, Chris Marie Green, Mary Leo, Maureen Child, Cassi Carver, Janet Wellington, Theresa Meyers, Sheri Whitefeather, Elisabeth Staab

***ARC provided by publisher through NetGalley***

I went through 6 stories in this 12-story bundle, and all six were less than impressive (if I use a mild expression). So, leery of wasting even more time reading something I didn't like instead of wasting my time reading something I did like, I decided to forgo my foray into the paranormal world created by the imagination of 12 to me more or less unknown authors.

And this is why...

DIABLO SPRINGS by Erin Quinn

It started with a bang. The first chapter had me nailed to my seat and then I waited with batted breath just what might come next...Not much came next.

The story didn't deliver on the bang it promised. It was all over the place as if the author couldn't decide just what (paranormal) elements to use so she threw (almost) everything into the mix. SO we had a hodgepodge of a ghost town, apparitions of the dead right after they died, death lights, a chasm where supposedly the Devil dwelt, an angry ghost searching for "his share", a couple of other ghosts, a few ghostly possessions, a teenage pregnancy, a motley crew of I don't know what, a love lost and found again, a young man from the wrong side of the tracks, a Romeo&Juliet theme, a couple of dogs, incest, gun-slingers, flashbacks written in first person POV...Sheesh.

It was too much of everything and not enough of anything. The narrative style wasn't engaging, the characters were bland, the events were unrealistic (I know it's supposed to be a paranormal story, but still)...I just kept rolling my eyes, waiting for it to end. Miss

VAMPIRE REBORN by Caridad Pineiro

WTF?! And I thought the first one in this 12-book extravaganza was bad. First of all this wasn't a stand-alone novella, but part of a series. Second, it wasn't the first in the series either, so I ended up in the middle of things and had no idea what was going on. Third, the whole vampire mythology and lore was thrown out the window. Forget sparkly-in-the-sun vampires (blah), the one in this book was apparently reverting back to human.

Plus, there were slayers, and not the funky Buffy-kind, but ones with some kinetic powers of some sort, then there was a thing/vampire/whatever that drained the life force of people, then there were vampire/human hybrids. To me you're either a human, a vampire, or a corpse if the drinker refuses to turn the drinkee...And the cherry on the cake (sarcastically speaking) a human/vampire hybrid FBI agent married to the vampire turning human...and they had a baby. WTF?!

I just didn't feel the story, and in the end I didn't care much about the characters and what had happened, was happening, and would happen to them. Miss

SHADOW FALL by Erin Kellison

Are you kidding me? Another in-the-middle-of-a-series story. And a world I'm supposed to suddenly understand everything from a few sentences thrown in? Uhm, no can do. Besides, I've read better Fae/Shadow/Fairy stories than this, actually a whole series that was written much better, the world was much better presented and built, and it actually had some basis in reality (or legends and myths told through generations).

In this one there was just too much there, Death, Shadow, a rapist wolf, wraiths, angels, a banshee, a ballerina, a guy dead for two years that suddenly comes back to the living, lots of sex, a forest hidden between the worlds, a mention of Persephone, some Giselle thrown into the mix (how can a creature that's not from this world know how to dance the male part in a ballet production?), twins on the way, possessions etc.

Another story with too many elements without anything overly cohesive to bring it all together. Miss

NIGHT ANGEL by Lisa Kessler

Okay, the story is set in Ireland. It's not Scotland, which is my favorite setting, but it's close. The story should be good, right?

Wrong.

A Mayan god living in Ireland speaking with an irish accent, able to shape-shift into a hawk and drinking blood to survive. *eyeroll*
A native "demon" taking the appearance of a handsome guy with a hypnotic voice to lure the girls to the sea shore that then turns into a horse with glowing red eyes taking the girls into the water with him and eating them. *eyeroll*
A deaf florist that ends up being a pawn in the battle between the vampire Mayan god and the Irish Stallion. That wouldn't be so bad if the girl wasn't so annoying. Miss

SHADOWS TILL SUNRISE by Chris Marie Green

What in the world?!

I don't even know how to explain this one. It started fine, I actually liked the prologue...And then it turned into a first person POV and it lost its appeal. And then the rest of the story happened and I completely lost interest.

A dueling phantom, a psychic hottie, an amnesiac heroine with boots that turn into vines...What in the world? Miss

A SHADOW AT TWILIGHT by Mary Leo

Okay, it's official. I'm cursed.

This one started rather promisingly...Until the guy ended up in a coma and started appearing to the heroine...and acting all OOC. The "ghost" didn't seem like a "ghost" of a thirty-year-old man, but more that of a child or maybe a teenager. Add to it other ghosts (at one point it all looked like a Night At The Museum rip-off) and the heroine's penchant for taking baths only to be caught in flagrante by the hero's "ghost", and it all went down the drain rather quickly. Miss

I had to stop here. Enough is enough.