The Book Gourmet

Book reviews à la bookworm...The good, the bad, and everything in between.

Professional Reader Reviews Published

Heat of the Moment by Robin Kaye

Heat of the Moment: Subtitle to come - Robin Kaye

***ARC provided by publisher through NetGalley***

I have mixed feelings about this one, hence the middle-ground rating. It started great, a little Harlequin-y, but it didn't deter from my enjoyment of the story, it had two great protagonists and a wonderful little girl to bring them together...The tension was palpable, although I cringed a little at the insta-lust thing Cam and Erin had going...

Then came the one-night-of-passion scene, and the story fizzled for me. I never thought I'd say this, but the sex ruined this one. It somehow didn't "mesh" with the rest of the story, and although it was used as a catalyst for the rush toward the finish line and the ending, that one scene stood out like a sore thumb from an otherwise good story.
It simply didn't gel.

And the whole requisite misunderstanding that spawned out of that single scene didn't help things much. I hate it when authors use the misunderstanding and inability-to-communicate-to-each-other card in stories. It cheapens the whole thing, and just makes me roll my eyes.

And then everything was suddenly resolved between h/H, and all was well in Romancelandia. I don't know, the whole ending was tied up with a too neat and nice a bow. It seemed rushed to me, like there was a few scenes or pages missing, making the whole story appear a bit wonky and "lopsided".

It was cute (in places), and the shortness was a bonus, but there was just something missing.