The Book Gourmet

Book reviews à la bookworm...The good, the bad, and everything in between.

Professional Reader Reviews Published

Desired by Alisa Woods

Desired (True Alpha 1) - Alisa Woods

***ARC provided by publisher through NetGalley***

He saves her life, spends the rest of the story protecting her (and telling her he just wants to keep her safe), his wold spends the rest of the story lusting after her, and she spends the rest of the story fretting about her job prospects, and lusting after him.

It started out well (chapter one), but it sort of fizzled afterward. It was mostly due to the boring aspects of Mia's life when she wasn't in a panic or when Lucas wasn't rescuing her. I couldn't help but think that a more experienced author could've made those aspects (most of the book) seem not so boring.

The second thing was the new adult genre, which is just a little bit grown-up version of the young adult genre which I hate with a passion. The heroine in this one was a college student and the mid-twenties hero a dotcommer, which could've easily been swapped for a high-school girl and a college guy with a job. And I had this comparison in mind throughout the story, with was off-putting.

And the cliffhanger in the end just made me grit my teeth and roll my eyes. If you have to end the first story in the series on a cliffhanger so the people will buy your next book, doesn't scream 'confidence in one's own story-telling abilities' to me. If someone wants to read the next story in the series, they'll do it whether the current story ends on a cliffhanger or not.
In my case preferably not. Cliffhangers just piss me off.