The Book Gourmet

Book reviews à la bookworm...The good, the bad, and everything in between.

Professional Reader Reviews Published

Almost Like Love by Abigail Strom

Almost Like Love - Abigail Strom

***ARC provided by publisher through NetGalley***

On the worst day of her life Kate gets fired, dumped, and then convinced by her friend to dress up like a hooker and go to a bar to maybe hook up with a bad boy for a bout of rebound sex. Luckily one of the patrons of said bar is a gentleman and decides to rescue her from her folly. Unfortunately said patron is also the guy who fired her...And even more unfortunately, the guy who fired her is hot as hell.

Well, it didn't end up the way y'all think it did. To know how the encounter in the bar did end up, I suggest you read this book. Because you won't be sorry.

For the first (less-than-a) half it reads like a romantic comedy and I had a smile plastered on my face for the first 80 pages or so (out of 224 shown on my eReader). Then the story loses the ha-ha fun and turns into a straightforward romance with a bit of drama (okay, more than a bit of drama) and a pinch of angst thrown in. But it all turns out fine in the end. I don't feel like that's a spoiler, since this is a romance we're talking about and every romance turns out just dandy.

Maybe there was a hurdle too many for my taste, the hero was occasionally too much of a dick and the heroine occasionally too much of a 'girl', but they were cute together, and the differences worked, so I'm a happy camper.

I liked the voice, I liked the flow of the story (even with a hurdle too many it didn't slow the narrative down), the main characters were nicely fleshed-out, the supporting cast wasn't there just as a background ornament, the 'hurdles' and both the hero's and heroine's 'plight' were realistic...

What more can I add but the fact that I liked it? Nothing. I liked it.