The Book Gourmet

Book reviews à la bookworm...The good, the bad, and everything in between.

Professional Reader Reviews Published

Dark Lycan by Christine Feehan

Dark Lycan: Number 24 in series ('Dark' Carpathian) by Feehan, Christine (2013) Hardcover - Christine Feehan

Fenris "Fen" Dalka has been on the run for centuries, hiding his true lineage, his identity in order to protect his younger brother, Dimitri. Because Fen isn't a Lycan, at least not a full-blooded one, he was born a Carpathian, but is now something the Lycans call Sange Rau, a mixed blood, that has to be exterminated. So, as far as they're concerned, he's fully Lycan.

But Lycans don't 'mate' like the Carpathians do, there isn't one woman that holds the other half of their soul, a woman that can restore their emotions and their ability to see color. Tatijana is Fen's lifemate, and when he sees her, hears her voice, he has no choice but to embrace his true nature, that of a Carpathian. Because he can't let her go, not even if he wanted to, not even knowing that what she craves most is freedom...

I wanted to wait to read this new installment in the Dark series, because I knew it heavily featured Dimitri and Skyler, the main couple from the next book in this little trilogy and I refused to spoil my enjoyment of their book by having to wait until it was released to learn what happened. And I'm glad I waited for their book to be released before reading this one.

Having said that, I have to confess I was rather disappointed with this one. It started great, both Fen and Tatijana were amazing, their initial banter a hoot...And they continued being a wonderful couple (with a minimum amount of I+m-the-man-you're-the-damsel-you'll-stay-safe-while-I-beat-at-my-chest convos and situations), I just ended up feeling like I was reading two different books. There was no real connection between the 'romance' part of the story and the 'action' part of the story. They seemed like two separate entities and it made for quite a jarring reading.

Also, the whole new 'species' thingy made me roll my eyes (how many species do we really need?) and the conspiracies for genocide are getting rather old.

Still, it was the usual CF fare, I just wished for a better connection between different elements in the story.